As VMIR's owner, I provide quality and timely musical instrument repair at a reasonable cost. With over 30 years of experience in the service and operation of musical instruments, I have been a member of the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians (NAPBIRT) since 1980. I attend national and regional NAPBIRT sponsored classes, keeping VMIR on the cutting edge of instrument repair, tooling and new products.
- Jim Varno.
Jim Varno has been steeped in musical instrument repair for 38-years. His deep experience in both hands on repair and management of retail musical instrument repair services qualifies him as one of the east coast's most qualified repair technicians.
After graduating from the State University of New York at Morrisville with an AAS degree in Musical Instrument Technology, Jim began work as a repair apprentice/technician in Aurora, Illinois. Moving to New Hampshire, he spent over ten years as a service manager and band repair technician. With Music Land USA, he spent five years as a repair technician in Lindenhurst, NY.
Moving to Wilmington, NC in 1998, Jim worked for McFadyen Music where he was responsible for all brass, woodwind, guitar and orchestral (string) repairs. When McFadyen was bought by the Brook Mays Music Group, Jim became the Zone Service Manager for two regions and the Senior Band Instrument Repair Technician.
- Performed repairs for Aerosmith, Boston, Smokey Robinson, the Miracles and many others.
- Nominated by Music and Sound Retailer Magazine for the "Best Repair Facility" in the country for 3 years.
- "Technician of the Year" Award
- Maintained a 3,000 unit band instrument rental program and full service string repair facility.
- "Mission Impossible" Award for the inception and set up of a new 5,000 square foot repair facility
- Performed repairs for the members of the New York Philharmonic and countless Broadway Show musicians.
Varno Musical Instrument Repairs is now the #1 resource for schools and private teachers in Southeastern North Carolina. VMIR services many of the New Hanover County, Pender County and Brunswick County school systems' music repair needs.
Jim is also the resident and on-site repair technician at the local university, the University of North Carolina at Wilmington.
Jim Varno has been an active member of NAPBIRT, the National Association of Professional Band Instrument Repair Technicians, since 1980 and he regularly attends national and regional NAPBIRT sponsored classes, keeping VMIR on the cutting edge of instrument repair tooling and new products.